Thursday, April 5, 2007

Road trip!






















Well, a day off and -3.0 degrees! So we decided to take you all for a drive over to Sambaa Deh falls. It's on the Trout River about 150 km out from Simpson. Of course still got the crotch deep snow to deal with, but the view was worth it. In the summer there are always a bunch of bald eagles soaring on the thermals in the gorge. The fishing down below in the river is good in the spring but it's a bit of a hike. I was going to hike down today and try for some pics of the frozen falls from the front but the wife was nervous and the snow was deep. As it was, when I got near the edge of the gorge, I wasn't sure if there was actually ground underneath my feet or if it was just a shelf of snow. I guess it was about a hundred feet down right there where I was standing. We come over and camp here every May 28 long weekend for grayling fishing. People come from all over.




Even up north here it's getting hard to get away from it all. I went camping once with my Inuit friend Stan and after four days on the river by ourselves niether one talking much, just quiet and haven't seen a soul, we see a guy going on the other side of the river about a mile away; Stan looks at me and says very seriously " jeez, busy place" I laughed my ass off! a matter of perspective I guess!

4 comments:

Jason said...

Good fishing eh? How far of a drive is it from Calgary?

Frank Brown said...

Yeah, people have a way of ruining peace and quiet.

the Mailman Family said...

So will there still be snow there when you go camping in May? If so - YUCK!

Jason said...

I loves to fish, I just don't do it often enough or very well. My favourite fishing is for shad back home in the Annapolis.